Sunday, August 16, 2015

BLOG 20 HOW A TRAINER HELPS US

BLOG 20 HOW A TRAINER HELPS

Hiring a personal trainer on your fitness journey is an important tool to help maximize results. Whether you are new the gym or have years of experience under your belt, a trainer will definitely help you. A trainer is an investment in your health. We all have different needs, goals, and expectations when it comes to exercise and eating. Having someone in your corner to guide you on this experience makes the process more effective and helps you stay on track. I love being a personal trainer, and YES, in my past I had trainers in college and even when I worked at a gym I had another staff member as my trainer. I enjoyed taking a moment to remember why it is that I do this job.

There are several reasons to hire a trainer. In my opinion and experience, the accountability and consistency are the most important reasons. Knowing that someone is waiting for us to workout with them keeps us coming and we abide by a schedule. Many of us have to either wake up early or stay up later to fit our workouts in, so having an appointment we must attend eliminates a lot of our excuses. We have become committed to ourselves, but now we have someone else we don’t want to let down either. Not only this, but, “ Personal trainers help maximize your time by providing workouts designed to meet your goals quickly and efficiently” (http://www.acefitness.org/updateable/update_display.aspx?pageID=575). It’s nice to have someone to encourage you and push you through to the end. When I worked with a fellow trainer at a previous gym, I felt like I was reaching beyond limits I was placing on myself. I wanted to prove to myself and the trainer that I could do anything with any amount of weight. I liked the quote from an article I read, “As I set my goals, she helps me to attain them. She encourages me by noticing improvements that I wouldn’t even think about. This is helpful when discouragement tries to set in” (http://www.moneytalksnews.com/6-reasons-hiring-personal-trainer-worth-the-money/?all=1). Trainers help people to get out of their comfort zone and find a new peak for performance.

Other great reasons to hire a trainer is that we learn how to break old habits, learns new tricks, and how to make our time count when working out. There is a method to achieving results and beginners can certainly use the knowledge and experience of a trainer. Furthermore, “One of the easiest ways to stifle results is to use poor exercise form. You can work out day-in and day-out, but unless you perform your exercises correctly, you won't see the results you long after. Bad form can cause a serious injury. A trainer can teach you good form and exercise habits that will last you a lifetime” (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5-reasons-to-hire-a-personal-trainer.html).

I like to build my workouts for clients based on their strengths, weaknesses, and goals. I also account for any limitations and offer alternatives for exercises not suited to that particular client. One of the best feelings is seeing an elderly client do a burpee. Hey, they might not be jumping up and down, rather, a modification has been offered and they are performing the exercise to the best of their ability. So, YES, they’re still doing a burpee. So often I hear clients tell me what they aren’t able to do. That challenges me to show them that anyone can do any exercise given the guidelines for their needs and body types. By doing this, the possibility of injury is also reduced.

My fitness coaching journey has been the best decision of my life. I finally found a career that puts my passion to use. Writing this blog helped give me validation and reaffirmed why I do what I do. My life is always on the go, so it was nice to take the time for this blog to really think about the reason why I wake up every morning.

. 




2 comments:

  1. Very inspiring, I'm so glad I followed through with this.
    I'm looking forward to setting goals and hitting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring, I'm so glad I followed through with this.
    I'm looking forward to setting goals and hitting them.

    ReplyDelete