Sunday, July 26, 2015

BLOG 17 ADDITIONAL BENEFITS

BLOG 17 ADDITIONAL BENEFITS

We primarily focus on the physical benefits of exercise and what is does for appearance. We also know that is helps prevent diseases and can lower our cholesterol and blood pressure. In our fast paced society filled with demands from work, family, and relationships, now more than ever our mental health is being impacted by all these obligations pulling us in different directions. Once again, exercise comes to the rescue. So let’s take a look at how physical activity benefits our mental health.

Exercise can improve your mood and give you an emotional lift. According to the Mayo Clinic, “Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. You may also feel better about your appearance and yourself when you exercise regularly, which can boost your confidence and improve your self-esteem” (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20048389). It is important to feel a strong sense of self-worth. After a workout, I definitely feel accomplished and productive. The feeling of working hard and challenging myself does lift my mood and gear me up for the day. I feel empowered and energized.

Working out can reduce stress because it, “increases concentrations of norepinephrine, a chemical that can moderate the brain's response to stress” (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/27/mental-health-benefits-exercise_n_2956099.html). Happy chemicals are released which are called endorphins, which can help alleviate depression. It’s a form of medication for symptoms of depression. I like to take clients outside to enjoy the outdoors and this also gives them their dose of Vitamin D, which can help reduce depression as well. I know first-hand the benefits of exercise on depression and anxiety. In fact, the last few days of my New York trip, I felt so antsy and on edge from not being as active as normal, that my restlessness made me feel stressed on my vacation. Exercise districts me from negative thoughts and worries.

In addition to improving mood, exercise can boost your energy levels and help you sleep better. Of course you wouldn’t want to exercise right before bed though. It is also a great way to increase social interaction. Meeting people who are committing to healthy lifestyles like yourself is a wonderful way to discover new relationships that support your endeavors. Another new benefit I hadn’t thought about was that exercise helps with addiction recovery: “Short exercise sessions can also effectively distract drug or alcohol addicts, making them de-prioritize cravings (at least in the short term). Working out when on the wagon has other benefits, too. Alcohol abuse disrupts many body processes, including circadian rhythms. As a result, alcoholics find they can't fall asleep (or stay asleep) without drinking. Exercise can help reboot the body clock, helping people hit the hay at the right time” (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/27/mental-health-benefits-exercise_n_2956099.html). Instead of being self-destructive, exercise is a way to discover how to start taking care of yourself and feel better about yourself. One learns to cope in a healthy way.

Each of you motivate me and inspire me to do my best as well, so I really benefit from the social inaction and accountability of my clients. I practice what I preach, so when I’m not happy with my efforts, I have no place to scold you. That’s why I’m always on my game. Of course the physical benefits motivate me, but what exercise does for my mind is just as powerful. I’m addicted to that “happy chemical” release, and I hope that I can help you join my team and make a commitment to help ourselves improve our self-worth, confidence, and overall mood as we strive towards a healthier lifestyle together.


No comments:

Post a Comment