Sunday, June 7, 2015

BLOG 10 BODY FAT PERCENTAGE VS. BMI


BLOG 10 BODY FAT PERCENTAGE vs. BMI

When starting a weight loss program, there are different ways to measure one’s progress besides the actual scale weight loss. To me, as we seek to improve our health and fitness levels, it is important to measure our progress, but to not become obsessive with these numbers that aren’t a “tell all” indication of how our body is responding. I’ll start with the facts, then I want to touch on my opinion of these terms.

Body fat percentage is the measure of fat on our body. Healthy percentages are different for men and women. There are different techniques to measure body fat percentage which include underwater testing, skin calipers, fat loss monitors, bioelectrical impedance, the DeXA scan, and the BodPod (http://weightloss.about.com/od/weightloss101/a/Bmi-Or-Body-Fat-Percentage.htm). Each technique has pros and cons and countless studies debate on which tool is the best.

Body Mass Index (BMI) is the number that determines your body size. It’s a “score” that determines if your weight is healthy for your height. Depending on your “score” it is typically assumed that any extra weight you are carrying is fat. For athletes and bodybuilders who carry access weight that is muscle not fat, BMI is not as accurate.

Higher numbers of either measurement, put one at a greater risk for diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, as well as other diseases. Results of these measurements depend on gender, body type, heredity, age, activity levels, and eating habits. We all have fat cells in our bodies, and, “Men generally have more fat cells around the abdominal area and women usually store more fat around the hips and thighs” (http://www.weightlossforall.com/fat-percentage-ideal.htm). Furthermore, as we age we tend to store more fat because of slower metabolism and hormonal changes. Our set number of fat cells are developed by the time we turn 16, but if there is an increase in fat storage, these cells become bigger in size, not increased by their number. Fat is not entirely bad for us, in fact there is “essential body fat” needed for insulation, and it acts as padding for our nerves, joints, and organs.

Some clients are motivated by concrete numbers that show losses. The visual drop in these figures, perpetuates a drive to keep seeking results. Others find body fat percentage and BMI discouraging or more counterproductive than encouraging. We all respond differently and that’s perfectly fine because our fitness journeys don’t have to be in unison.  It is hard not to get caught up in the numbers game and psychologically it can toy with us. We all know that the scale can change depending on the time of day that we step on it.

In my opinion, there is so much more to fitness than these numbers. I like to exercise because it reduces my anxiety and stress. I like the results I see, like muscle tone and definition, versus what the scale might tell me. I like to sweat and feel like I accomplished something good for myself. I like to feel empowered by a run that exhausted me but felt amazing when it was over. Progress and results are not number driven for me, other than increasing how much I lift or how many reps I can do. I’d rather focus on the amount of weight l can lift or the miles I can run, instead of what my BMI might say that day. I look at the body fat percentage scale and I am perplexed by what constitutes being “obese” is. Fitness is a way of life for me, and it’s a feeling based activity that I wake up looking forward to each morning. Keep at your fitness journey; see it as a way of life, and continue to pursue your goals one rep at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment