Sunday, May 3, 2015

BLOG 5 BURPEE


BLOG 5 BURPEE…(eye roll inserted here)

The burpee. I know you just rolled your eyes and instantly thought how much you hate them. They’re demanding and challenging and work all the major muscle groups. So even though we love to hate them, burpees are an incredibly beneficial functional exercise. They certainly make my heart race and quickly exhaust me. Best part…. no equipment needed. One starts by bending down into a pushup position, followed by jumping or stepping the feet back, and finishing by using lower body strength to return to the standing positon by jumping or stepping back in. Variables might include adding a pushup or an explosive jump at the end. We can even add dumbbells. That’s it. Sounds so simple…. NOT!!!! Our arms, legs, cardiovascular endurance, and mind, are simultaneously tested to complete each one.

So I thought it would be entertaining to look up the history of the burpee for you all. According to an article in the Huffington Post, by Sally Tamarkan (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/02/burpee-history_n_5248575.html), physiologist, Royal H. Burpee, formulated the exercise as part of a fitness assessment of the heart rate to determine one’s “overall fitness”. The 6 part exercise was never intended to be done in high volumes, but it has evolved into one of the most taxing body weight exercises one can perform. In society that wants fast results and instant gratification, doing burpees is of those best bang for your buck deals.

One of the most rewarding parts of my job is making people do things they never thought they were capable of. Anyone can do anything, and that is one of my top priorities. There are modifications for all exercises and let me to you, when a 67 year old woman is doing a burpee at the studio, I do have a smirk on my face. So while you roll your eyes, I’m excited to see you take your body to places you told me when we first met that you were restricted or limited by. They say it’s not polite to burpee, but we are on a quest to be fit so I will allow you to “burpee” as much as you want at the studio.

3 comments:

  1. Under Megan's tutelage, Burpee becomes a verb. Under Megan's tutelage, Burpees become modified to allow for my torn rotator cuff. Megan makes working out both challenging and fun. Her music selections are impeccable. She smirks at this 62 year old body all of the time. Nevertheless, she has helped change this body remarkably. Viva la Burpee! Viva la Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burpees...no comment...but I'm greatful for everything else

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard, hard work, a burpee, that is, but with Megan's push, it gets somewhat easier and YOU CAN DO IT!!! Thank you Megan for believing in me....

    ReplyDelete